This summer, we shared an article from The Atlantic on memorization, and WOW did the discussion explode on Facebook! We couldn’t help chatting about it ourselves, and that conversation eventually became this podcast episode.
We don’t pretend to have the last word on memory work, but we do think this is a great beginning place to start thinking about this issue.
Thank you to our sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by Charlotte Mason Boot Camp. Want to whip those Charlotte Mason muscles into shape? The intense, 6-week Charlotte Mason Boot Camp does just that! It’ll take that philosophical flab and turn it into nothing less than confidence. It’ll give you all the growing, stretching, and strengthening you’ve been looking for. Charlotte Mason Boot Camp fills up fast. To get on the interest list, click here and sign up!
Listen to the podcast:
- Scholé RDA:
- Mental Multivitamin — we can’t link to this blog because it no longer exists, but we wanted you to know what we were saying.
- Topical Discussion: The Late Great Memory Debate
- The article we shared on FB that started it all: When Memorization Gets in the Way of Learning from The Atlantic
- CC timeline song with Veritas Cards
- New CC timeline song
- GHC Ontario
- Here’s a quote:
They cram to pass, and not to know, they do pass, and they don’t know. — John Ruskin
- Facts and ideas episode from Your Morning Basket Podcast — Teaching with Ideas: A Conversation with Brandy Vencel
- Math U See
- Research on the Teaching of Math: Formal Arithmetic at Age Ten, Hurried or Delayed? by Harvey Bluedorn
- Better Late Than Early by Raymond and Dorothy Moore
- Scholé Sisters Episode 13: Learning Styles are Bunk
- Nitty Gritty Homeschool Question
Please leave us a review in iTunes!
If you don’t know how to do that, click here for illustrated instructions.