Time will come when kids will start walking to and from school without your supervision, so they need to know some safety precautions. Parents have the most important role in this matter and you yourself need to know and teach them what to do.
Here are some tips every parent needs to teach their children to keep them safe while walking by themselves.
- Teach kids at an early age to always look both ways before crossing the street and keep looking until it is safe to cross.
- Teach them to recognize and obey traffic signals and pavement markings. Cross streets only in crosswalks, never cross from between parked cars, and it’s best to walk on sidewalks or paths.
- Don’t run when crossing the street, especially across intersections.
- Teach kids to put down phones, headphones or any devices when crossing the street.
- Remind them not to talk to strangers. If they think someone is following them and they don’t know that person, switch direction and ask for help to a trusted adult.