Diarrhea is a common illness among all the age groups. Common symptoms of diarrhea include frequent loose and watery stools, abdominal pain, and bloating.
Bad cases of diarrhea can come from many sources, including:
- food poisoning
- contaminated food and water
- eating too much fatty and spicy foods
- viral infection
- certain gastrointestinal diseases
Diarrhea results in loosing large amount of fluid which makes the body dehydrated and also the effect of electrolyte imbalance.
Here are some of the most effective first aid measures to relieve a diarrhea:
The most important to do is to keep hydrated.
- Drinking plenty of fresh and pure water is the best way.
- Drink natural fruit juices.
- Take an electrolyte solution like a Gatorade.
- Eating bananas, dry toast, rice, helps to regulate the bowel movements.
- Yogurt helps to restore good bacteria.
Watching what you eat is very important when you have diarrhea.
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid eating spicy foods
- Milk, soda, and other caffeinated drinks may make condition worse.
- Fried and greasy foods are also not advisable.
- Avoid foods that can cause gas, such as: corn, beans, broccoli, peppers
If diarrhea lasts for more than 3 days, it’s time to see a doctor.