If you want to reinforce using a second language at your home and want your child to be a bilingual or even multi-lingual, here are some tips:
Start From A Very Young Age
By the time babies are between 6 to 12 months, they begin to absorb the sounds and learn to distinguish the different phonemes, or auditory units of language. So, if you want your children to learn a second language, it is more effective to expose them in it in their first year of life. Speak the second language to the babies all the time, so he has a chance to become immersed in it.
Learning a second language from an early age can have some significant benefits. Among these are the cultivation of problem solving, creativity, critical thinking skill, and having cognitive development faster than those single-language children.
Learning At Home
- If you want to reinforce this concept, do this first at home.
- Learning a foreign language is a team effort, Slowly, teach your child what you learn. Learning together will have you and your child a bonding moment.
- Use audios, videos, picture books, TV shows, though, it may be less effective than in-person interactions, it is a possible option that can allow your child to obtain exposure to foreign language.
- Invite family members, neighbors, friends, who are native speakers who can spend time with your child. Let them play and do some activities in which they can speak to your child in that language.
- Search the web for programs that will help your kid exposed to foreign language you want him to learn.
- Make some comments on daily routines and activities in your home using the second language. For instance, while you are in the kitchen, you can say; “I am baking a cake”.
Find A Class
If you have problem finding native speakers in your community, or doesn’t have a chance to learn at home, you can consider enrolling your child in a language class to take a formal lessons with a tutor. Try to look for a class in which the teacher speaks the foreign language exclusively in the classroom. Or you may let them to have a private lessons, which allow them on a one-on-one teaching.