Sequences are a series of numbers written as a list that follows a particular pattern or “rule”. You can experiment with sequence patterns with your child. This will eventually lead to mathematical representations.
- Use lego, wooden blocks, or beads to represent units
- Create a basic sequence using these units. Express the changes in the sequence as you add new units to a sequence chain. If you have beads, you can string them together.
Sequences are as great for strategic thinking as it makes a child look into outcomes down the road.
Estimated Lesson Time
- 30 mins
- Lego, or wooden blocks, or beads (and string)
- Lesson Plan: Addition
- Lesson Plan: Algebra Basics
- Lesson Plan: Fibonacci sequences